Buried in beans and amaranth – beginning of September update

P1110337

The garden at the beginning of September with the household berry monster at the raspberries.

In the last week my amaranth and beans had to be harvested – the two crops are my main plan for winter eating so I’d planted what I thought was a reasonable amount. Well… the amaranth decided to do well this year giving me twice as much as I’d expected. Good news except I didn’t have enough containers to harvest it all before rains were predicted. I got the orange amaranth in, then the rains came. My black amaranth got harvested a couple days later. A kind local farmer let me come over and clean my amaranth with her gear – in future if I’m going to keep growing this amount or more, I’ll need to come up with my own way to clean the grains. I think they look rather pretty.

P1110368

Black amaranth as clean as I could get it considering it was slightly damp

P1110377

Orange amaranth – sadly it was the plant that was orange not the grain.

Next up was my beans and I was a week late in harvesting them – so I’ve lost a fair amount to rot. Here’s what we’ve cleaned so far:

P1110379

Beans in baskets drying. There has be enough for a family of three for a year there.

P1110362

More beans drying.

P1110345

More beans drying in the greenhouse

P1110330

Popcorn drying.

P1110329

Brussels sprouts growing

P1110358

Kale for winter

P1110324

One of my sunflowers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s